Sunday, June 14, 2015

It's Time...



NiaJean drops all the shopping bags on the floor next to her bed then takes a deep breath.  She takes her shoes off, sits on her bed and crosses her legs in a butterfly pose.  She opens her laptop and begins typing out of frustration.

Sad to say but some people don’t deserve your help.  If there is someone in your life that you are constantly helping and they don’t appreciate it, maybe it’s time to realize they don’t deserve your help anymore.  I guess…

In the middle of NiaJean typing, there is a knock at her door.  “Come in.”  She yells.  Deja slowly walks in her room with two ice cream sundaes in her hands.  “Hey.”  Deja says with a forced smile on her face.  “Hey.”  NiaJean responds back.  “I apologize.  I got caught up in the moment.  It’ll never happen again.  I would never do anything that compromises Sage’s health or safety.”  Deja says as she hands NiaJean one of the sundaes.  “Ok.”  NiaJean says with a bit of skepticism.  She begins eating the ice cream sundae but doesn’t crack a smile.  Deja sits next to her on her bed and they eat in silence.  NiaJean breaks the silence after a few minutes by saying, “I see you put some chocolate and caramel syrup on it.  Good call.”  “Yeah, I had to do it big on this one.  I even topped it with the nuts and whipped cream.”  She says smiling.  “I see.”  NiaJean says smiling back.  They continue eating with smiles on their faces.  NiaJean stops eating and looks at Deja in a caring manner.  “Deja, I really do believe in you.”  She says.  Deja gives her an appreciative grin and responds, “I know you do.”  They both finish eating their sundaes and Deja grabs NiaJean’s bowl out of her hands, kisses her on the cheek and leaves her room.  NiaJean smiles.  

NiaJean gets comfortable on her bed and gets ready to start typing again.  She deletes her initial comments and starts over.

I guess everyone deserves a second chance if they are trying to change their lives for the better.  The thing that I need to always remember is that it’s ok to do something for myself every now and then even if I’m doing for others.  That is not a selfish gesture, the time has to come at some point in my life where I care about my wellbeing in the same manner I care about everyone else around me. 

NiaJean’s phone rings and it is her stepfather William Rose calling.  William adopted NiaJean when she was three years old so he’s the only father she’s ever known.  He is a handsome mocha colored man who still shows residuals of being a great athlete back in his day.  He tries to stay fit as much as he can but falls into the temptations of his wife’s good cooking more often than not.  He’s always been very protective over NiaJean but let’s her live her life and make her mistakes so she learns from them.  He is a man who believes that there are always lessons to be learned in life.  Though he advises her on many issues in her life, he allows her to face her failures but is always there to pick her up when she needs him.  Though he is not perfect, he is constant.

NiaJean answers her phone, “Hey dad.”  “Hey baby girl, I’m just calling to check on you.”  He responds.  “I’m good.”  She says.  “How’s it going with this new dude?”  He asks.  NiaJean has a worried look on her face as she answers her father’s question.  “Ok, I guess.  It seems like we can’t get it together.  It’s like either I’m busy or he’s busy all the time.”  “Do you feel like he’s worth your time?”  He asks.  “Yes.”  She answers with confidence.  “Then don’t give up on him yet.  Good wine takes time.” He says in a smooth voice.  “You are so corny.”  She says and they both laugh.  “You get my point.”  He says through the laugher.  “Yes, I do.”  She answers as she leans back on her pillow and gets comfortable for the rest of their conversation. 

“What’s going on with your sister?  I still haven’t heard the end of the encounter your mother had with her earlier.”  He says with concern.  NiaJean rolls her eyes and hesitates before she answers as she contemplates whether or not she should tell him about the smoking incident.  She decides not to and answers, “Nothing, she’s fine.  You know mom overreacts when it comes to Deja.”  “Alright, you know I try to let you girls make you own way but let me know if you need me to intervene.”  He responds.  “Ok.”  She answers.  “Don’t forget, prayer works too.”  There is no response from NiaJean so her father backs off by saying.  “I’m not going to preach to you, I’m just reminding you.”  “I know, I hear you.”  She says reassuringly.  There is a moment of silence in the conversation as NiaJean has no further response so her father breaks the silence and says, “Alright baby girl, I’m getting ready to take your mother out with her fine self.”  NiaJean cringes but doesn’t answer.  “Love you.”  He says.  "I love you too.”  She responds.  Before they hang up, her stepfather makes one more comment.  “Give that young man a little time.  I know patience isn’t always on your side.”  “I’m working on that.”  She comments back.  They both say goodbye and hang up the phone.

Before NiaJean puts her phone on the charger she begins scrolling through the pictures.  She comes across a picture of her and Brian together in an embrace.  She snuggles deeper into her pillow on her bed and stares at it as though she’s going to jump into the scene.  She begins talking to the picture. 

“I know things take time but if we take this relationship any slower, we may as well stop!  It's time to take this to the next level Mr. Brian!” 

In the middle of her staring at their picture she gets a text on her phone from him…

“I need to see you now!”

No comments:

Post a Comment